Saturday, March 19, 2011

Elder Mackey's February 14, 2011 Letter to Mandy and Family

Elder Steel, new member and Elder Mackey
Dear Mandy and Family,

Well Mandy I guess I will be sending you the e-mail for the family.
This week was pretty rough but ended pretty awesome!! My trainer went
on exchanges on Wensday so I was left to take charge of the area. I
did pretty well but I ended up losing an investigator. It wasnt my
fault though. :-p I did pretty well at the baptism with my talk.
Everyone really liked that I could play piano and sing. (Apparently a
lot of people cant play piano that well which is kinda weird because I
think I dont play that well or even sing that well) I did a musical
number yesterday and I did the confirmation. I felt like the
confirmation wasnt that good. Well let me explain why...

Monday we lost two investigators, Kristin and her friend Chad. We have
been teaching them for a long time but wouldn't allow us to pray and
one night I just told her that I can not do well with out the Spirit
and that we are not helping you. So we asked her to pray and see if it
was ok if we pray before a lesson. (she thinks we dont pray to the
same God) So next lesson we pray which was awesome cause now she was
progressing but then every lesson she is always treating it like a
bible discussion and it just frusrated me and Elder Steel. She always
trys and make the lesson go over an hour and we get no where or we
think she is getting it but then she asks a question thats way off
topic and doesnt apply. ahhh!!! The last lesson we left all of the
pamphlets and told her thats all we teach and to read them and prepare
with questions that involve the lessons. On Monday we get a call from
her saying that she has all that she needs basicly and that she doesnt
need us anymore. (I dont think she liked us and that she liked the
Sister Missionaries that were before us.) So she dropped us.

Tuesday it was pretty much a tracting day. We did have an appointment
but then she dropped us because her dad didnt want her meeting with
us. She was meeting with us behind his back at the library and we kept
tell her to tell her dad but she would "always forget." She was
awesome though and she was doing pretty well. I called her up to reind
her to tell her dad and he was yelling and so we were not allowed to
teach her anymore. She did say that she was going to read the BoM in
her room still and still pray about it. So that was pretty cool! While
we were tracting, it was a pretty cold day, we knocked on this door,
Mike. We did the normal approach and he seemed like he had a lot on
his mind. He did really want to talk about anything because he had a
lot going on. My companion asked if we can come in and warm up a
little and so he can put on his scarf a little bit better. He let us
in and I started asking him quesitons and he opened up. He has
prostrate cancer that has moved to his bones and he look real tired
and sick. We taught him the second lesson and it went awesome! He said
we could come back but he didnt know when. So we will stop by hoping
to catch him.

Wensday it went ok, that the day that Stacy, one of our investigators
dropped us. We had a lot of hopes for her but I went in and asked her
if she read the BoM and she said that it was hard for her to read it
and think of it as a trure book or something. I thought it was a dumb
question. She was stuck on the fact that Joseph Smith had many wives
and that was wrong and also he found gold plates somewhere in New York
was bizzare. Plus that there is no more need for prophets because
Christ came down and did it all for us. It was a not a good lesson and
we just asked her to read the BoM and pray about it and that we will
pray for her and she said that she will pray for us for help. :/
Whatever.....(i didnt say that)

Thrusday we met with one of our investigators who is from Peru and
know ok english. Her "mate" is austrian and know german, spanish, and
snglish. We only met with him once and he is the kind of person that
wants proof. We brought a Brother from the ward that knows spanish and
he pretty much did a lot of the talking but it went awesome! We
challenged her to be baptized and she wasnt sure but she wants her
family to be united. In a nut shell her husband isnt the family man
kind and likes to play the game WOW. Ask the brothers about that game.
So she will pray about it and we will see on Thursday what she thinks.

Friday was Awesome! So we had an appointment with a black kid who
lives in kinda like "the square" in phoenix I guess. We were going to
have the lesson in the lobby but there were people there that did not
like us so we were thinking of a place to  go when this ex-marine guy
came out to get his mail and he was cussing everyother word and I was
thinking in my mind, "oh man this guy is going to beat us up!" He was
saying some degrading stuff about the Church and came up to Marcus,
the black kid, and was asking him if "these cats are givin him
trouble." I think my companion or I said that we were just thinking of
a place to share a message to him. Aaron, the ex-marine, then said
that we should have our lesson in his place. Marcus started to follow
him so we started to follow. In my head I was thinking and saying
prayers, "Oh man this guy is going to kill us. We are so dead. Please
help us." I was trying to feel if the Spirit was prompting me to
leave, and I think I was hoping haha, but I didnt feel bad or
anything. We went into his room and there was beer everywhere because
they had a party I guess and it smelt like chew. He was cussing
every other word looking for his dip and talking to us and about
"religion" in general. We were doing pretty well and I asked if we
could sit down and he smoked a cig and got his nicatine in him and he
stopped cussing. Marcus left and we didnt even teach him but we left
Aaron a BoM and challenged him to read and pray about it. He told us
he wasnt going to join but that he would. So we stayed alive! Right
after that we felt like we needed to visit a less-active member who
acts just like Jimmy. It was weird, he looks like him, acts like him,
and it was just weird. He even is the same age. We stopped by and we
asked if we could share a 5 min lesson. He let us in and we started
with a prayer. Elder Steel started with the scriptue Chr 28: 10,20.
Saying that we need to do it. I then gave him the scripture Phil 4:13
and said that we can do it through Christ. Then I felt prompted to ask
if he wanted a blessing. The Spirit was sooooo strong! He said he
wanted one and he asked if I could be the voice. The Spirit guided me
in what I needed to say and it was just what he needed to here. That
he needs to do it and dont slack off so to say. He was very emotional.
it was just awesome!!!!

Saturday we got a new investigator who is awesome!!!! He is a short
black guy who has big muscles. He is a decon in his church but he
needed some good words from us or something. We shoveled his driveway
when he was at work and so he was touched by that. It was funny
because while I was praying he will say "thank you Jesus" or "uhh hmm"
or "prais the Lord." it was a long day but the lesson was so good. :)

Sunday I was voice for the confirmation and I felt like it was so bad.
I did not feel the Spirit guide me like I did on Friday. I feel so bad
that I didnt give that good of a good blessing. :( I did a nice job
though on the musical number and people came up to me saying that they
never thought that I would play the piano let alone sing. It was a
good day though. Elder Steel and I stayed up talking about what
President told him and me before we came together. We are staying
another transfer which is awesome! What is interesting is that
President told Elder Steel that this assignment is going to be the
most important assignment in his mission and that he needs to be
patient. Hmmm.....he and I are still thinking about it. But its
interesting. Also to know that he has gotten a transfer call every
transfer except this one. :o Well I need to go. I will talk to you all
later.....I love you very much and thank you. Oh I fell a few time
walking and Elder Steel thought it was so funny. I will beat him up
after the mission. But then he fell on his bike which was funny. Big
gulp eh? Welp see ya later!!!! And yes I am getting better talking.
The shoes are great! I love them. I got to learn how polish and also I
need to learn how to keep my bike up. (any ideas orrin?) Good luck
Mandy! Philipians 4:13 - You can do ANYTHING through Christ, who
stregthens you!!
Love,
Elder David Mackey

No comments:

Post a Comment